REMINDER: Prizegiving tonight 5pm!
Prizegiving, tonight, 5pm. See you at the club!
Dinner is pizza (Sunday night so nice and easy). Gluten free, and vegetarian options. $5 per head. Bar open.
See you there :)
Just a quick reminder that tomorrow night will be a sail set up coaching session at the club. 6.30pm start. Everyone is welcome. Invite any non-members as well. Just a $5 donation at the door for non-members. Bar will be open.
Also a reminder of the coaching this Saturday. Let Gareth know ASAP if you are turning up. 10am start.
And winter series racing on Sunday. 11am 1st warning signal. If you can help out on the water, let Gareth know.
TO past and current members - Trophies
Gidday to all past and current members of the Torbay Sailing Club.
We are on the hunt for a few trophies to be returned. Some may still be with past members that weren't awarded last year.
These are what we are definitely after, but if you have any others sat at home, please email G on email@example.com. Likewise if you remember who these were awarded to, please get in touch as well.
- Most improved female
- Sailor of the year
- Outstanding contribution to the club
- Optimist Open Club Champion
- Laser Radial Club Champion
- J14 Club Champion
- Optimist Green Most Guns
- Starling Most Guns
- Laser Radial Most Guns
- J14 Most guns
- Splash most guns
- Optimist open
If you have any information, please get in touch!
Kudos - but only to a couple....
So members, the Wright family (Glen/Brooke) and the Jensen family were the only ones to read the winter programme......
Tonight was scheduled the first Race Theory night with setup the focus. Luckily for the rest of you, the person who wrote the winter programme, may have also forgotten, and thus has been moved to next Thursday.
Heres the haps for next week:
Tuesday night 7pm - Sailing Committee Meeting
Thursday night 6.30pm - Race Theory Night (open to EVERYONE)
Saturday 8th June - Race training clinic 10.00am - 3pm ish (need to have told G by Tuesday if you intend on coming, again all classes welcome)
Sunday 9th June - Winter series racing (4 short races) 11am 1st Warning signal
Have a great long weekend :)
P.S. If you are sticking around Auckland this weekend, there are a few small jobs requiring a small chunk of time (outside tap change, trailer registration plates, office lock combination lock, trailer wheel bearing checks, small amount of trailer maintenance). If you feel like attempting any of these, all the parts are ready, just need a couple of people to chip in. Contact G.
Blake Inspire - Angus is going!
Torbay Sailing Club are proud to learn that Angus Wright has been selected to attend the Blake Inspire Programme. It is an awesome and exciting opportunity for him. The Blake trust is a pivotal partner in our annual Sir Peter Blake Regatta.
To find out more about what the programme involves, watch this. For all those that will be at secondary school in the years to come, this is something to aspire to for sure.
Winter programme, and Info!
How are we all? Settling into the cooler weather, and what appears to have been either a drift off, or a blow out?
Some really cool stuff in this post, so keep reading.
1) Winter programme. There is a winter programme attached (it is subject to change). There is a whole bunch of stuff, from evening theory sessions, to race clinics for all classes, winter series racing, first aid course, safety boat course, and FUN nights! And breathe...... check out the calendar attached. There will be a charge for the race clinics to cover some coaching costs. Payable on the day $20 for the day (the coaching fees you have paid were for the summer season of Sunday mornings). Note you will need to let Gareth know 4 days in advance if you intend on attending :)
2) Torbay sailing bibs. We have had a sample made up for a Team Torbay bib to go over buoyancy aids. 78% recycled! The design is Option 1 on the attachment. If you are interested in one to wear on club days, and regatta racing, then Gareth is taking interest. They will cost around $30 each. Especially if we aim for around 100 bibs. All sizes available, from small, to the well built J14 sailors!
3) We are after a bit of help. We have a number of Sir Peter Blake bibs in bags and boxes just inside the boat shed internal door. Is there someone, or a couple of people able to step up and take responsibility of taking them up to the Torbay laundromat and getting them all washed. And then counting all the usable bibs afterwards. There are three bibs (barfoot thompson - green fleet course, volvo - open fleet course, and southern pacific - adult course). If you are able to do this, please contact Antoinette.
That is it for now. Don't forget, save the dates 16th June (Prizegiving), and 30th August (AGM). If you are interested in joining a committee or becoming a flag officer, then get in touch with any of the current flag officers.
IMPORTANT Information for all members
Dear Torbay Sailing Club Members,
The information to follow has importance to it, and concerns the continuation of what has been a fantastic 2018/2019 season.
Firstly this is a formal invite for you to attend our end of season prizegiving. This will be held at the Torbay Sailing Club, on Sunday 16th June from 3pm. More information will come in due course, but there will be some sort of dinner arrangement for a small fee, and a great time had.
It is really important to come and congratulate those who have succeeded this season within our club. But also, really important to turn up for the following.
The prizegiving is where nominations are received for elected positions, and other roles within the club are filled for the upcoming season, in this case the 2019/2020 season. Please note nominations may be received after the prizegiving until 7 days prior the AGM in writing.
At the most recent General Committee meeting, we have had some members indicate that they will be stepping down from various positions. This will not take effect until the 1st of September, after ratification at the AGM of the incoming elected positions (30th August - save the date and not to be missed due to something similar to last year).
This ensures that from the prizegiving until the 1st September, you are able to work alongside the person whose role you may be taking on.
Here is a brief run down of what will be on the whiteboard at the the prizegiving for you to put your name against, or put nominations in for. Please send any nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org, before the prizegiving. A nomination form is attached.
Flag officers: Commodore, Vice-Commodore, Rear Commodore, Honorary Secretary and Honoray Treasurer
General committee: Flag officers, plus 5 - 10 other members
Sailing committee: Rear-commodore (chair), plus up to 15 other members including fleet captains
Other roles: Heaps of them, if everyone just does a little bit. See attached document.
We are working on drafting up some information around the roles. If you have any queries in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact Tony (021 393 272), Gareth (027 723 4949) or Antoinette (021 038 8955).
Last club day for the season
The second and final club champs day is nearly upon us.
Same times as last week. 9.30am briefing, race start at 10.30. Hot chips after. Bar will be open. You know the deal.
Be great to see as many of you there as possible :)
The suggestions box will actually be on the bar this Sunday (forgot last Sunday).
If you are free to help out on a RIB, please let Gareth know. The help is greatly appreciated on the final day.
See you there!
Final reminder for Club Champs tomorrow and 5th May.
Briefing 9.30am (I suggest being rigged and nearly ready by this time)
Race Start 10.30am - 4 races back to back around 30 mins each
Sausage sizzle (free), and hot chips $2 after sailing, and bar will be open :)
Daniel is running Crunchie racing for the newer and less confident sailors. Same times. First in, first served if you want to use a red boat. Get there in plenty of time to get ready.
Finally, there will be a suggestions box on the bar top tomorrow, and next week. Let the club know what things we have done well this season, and things we can improve on, or introduce. Can be anonymous, or put your name on it.
See you all tomorrow :)
Woah, what a contingent we had at the Opti nationals. 8 sailors! (Max, Lola, Frances in Open, and William, Andrew, Ben, Tate and Luke in Green). They all sailed extremely well, and represented Torbay Sailing Club in fantastic fashion!
Now time for the REAL regatta of the year..... our very own CLUB CHAMPS :)
The NOR and SSI are attached.
A few important things to note:
1) Start times!
2) You will need to bring your own lunches as races are back to back.
3) Free sausage sizzle after sailing and of course the bar will be open.
4) If you are a parent NOT sailing, it would be greatly appreciated if you are able to help out. We have bar, sausage sizzle, beach duties, RIB and Lady Waiake spaces to fill.
5) No coaching. There will be Crunchie racing for orange fleet at the same times as the big course.
If you are able to help out either Sunday, please let me know via messenger.
These are the final two weeks of the season, so we hope to see ALL members and sailors out there giving it their best. :)